Immunology for Medical Students
Comprehensive yet concise and easy to read, this updated edition of Immunology for Medical Students effectively explains complex immunology topics and their relevance in clinical practice. Boasting just the right amount of detail for today's busy medical student, it delivers state-of-the-art coverage of the latest scientific and clinical knowledge in the field. Detailed and explanatory illustrations, combined with clinically relevant examples and cases, offer a unique understanding of the human immune system and its role in protecting us from disease.
- Designed with a clear focus on the needs of medical students.
- Includes overview illustrations at the beginning of each chapter, as well as illustrations with dialogue boxes.
- Immunology icons are repeated throughout the text, accompanied by a helpful Icon Key.
- Detailed clinical cases demonstrate real-world applications.
- Technical boxes point out important scientific advances.
- End-of-chapter checklists of learning points facilitate review.
- Student Consult eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, images, and references from the book on a variety of devices. You'll also access 100 multiple-choice questions to enhance your understanding of the material.
- Features 17 new clinical boxes as well as critical revisions to 25 of the clinical boxes featured in the previous edition, providing relevant, practical examples of cases commonly encountered in day-to-day practice.
- Presents new material on T Cell Subsets, the molecular and cellular processes involved in their selection and differentiation, and how this knowledge is already translating into clinical developments.
- Includes a brand-new chapter titled Regulation of the Immune System.
Weight: 800.00 grams
Section 1: Introduction
Introduction to the Immune System
Basic Concepts and Components of the Immune System
Section 2: Antigen-Recognition Molecules
3. Introduction to Antigen Recognition
4. Antigens and Antibody Structure
5. Antibody-Antigen Interaction
6. Antibody Diversity
7. The T-Cell Receptor
8. Major Histocompatibility Complex
9. Review of Antigen Recognition
Section 3: Physiology
10. Antigen Processing and Presentation
11. Lymphocyte Activation
13. The Organs and Tissues of the Immune System
14. B-Cell Development
15. T-Cell Development
16. T-Cell Interactions and T-Cell Help
17. Immunological Memory and Homeostasis
18. Regulation of the Immune System
19. Brief Review of Immune Physiology
Section 4: Innate Immunity
20. Constitutive Defenses Including Complement
22. Killing in the Immune System
24. Cytokines in the Immune System
Section 5: Immune System in Health and Disease
25. Infections and Vaccines
26. Hypersensitivity Reactions
27. Immediate Hypersensitivity (Type I): Allergy
28. How Autoimmune Disease Develops
29. Antibody-Mediated Hypersensitivity (Type II)
30. Immune Complex Disease (Type III Hypersensitivity)
31. Delayed Hypersensitivity (Type IV) and Review of Hypersensitivity Reactions
32. Primary Immunodeficiency
33. Secondary Immunodeficiency
35. Tumor Immunology
36. Bio Pharmaceuticals