From the latest vaccination evidence, recommendations, and protocols . . . to new vaccine development and the use of vaccines in reducing disease, Plotkin’s Vaccines, 8th Edition, covers every aspect of vaccination. Now completely revised and updated from cover to cover, this award-winning text continues to provide reliable information from global authorities, offering a complete understanding of each disease, as well as the latest knowledge of both existing vaccines and those currently in research and development. Described by Bill Gates as “an indispensable guide to the enhancement of the well-being of our world,” Plotkin’s Vaccines is a must-have reference for current, authoritative information in this fast-moving field.
- Contains all-new chapters on COVID-19, vaccine hesitancy, and non-specific effects of vaccines, as well as significantly revised content on new vaccine technologies such as mRNA vaccines, emerging vaccines, and technologies to improve immunization.
- Presents exciting new data on evolution of adjuvants across the centuries, dengue vaccines, human papillomavirus vaccines, respiratory syncytial virus vaccines, tuberculosis vaccines, and zoster vaccines.
- Provides up-to-date, authoritative information on vaccine production, available preparations, efficacy and safety, and recommendations for vaccine use, with rationales and data on the impact of vaccination programs on morbidity and mortality.
- Provides complete coverage of each disease, including clinical characteristics, microbiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment, as well as epidemiology and public health and regulatory issues.
- Keeps you up to date with information on each vaccine, including its stability, immunogenicity, efficacy, duration of immunity, adverse events, indications, contraindications, precautions, administration with other vaccines, and disease-control strategies.
- Covers vaccine-preventable diseases, vaccine science, and licensed vaccine products, as well as product technologies and global regulatory and public health issues.
- Analyzes the cost-benefit and cost-effectiveness of different vaccine options.
- Helps you clearly visualize concepts and objective data through an abundance of tables and figures.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
By Walter A. Orenstein, MD, DSc (HON), Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics, and Global Health, Emory University; Associate Director, Emory Vaccine Center, Atlanta GA; Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Seattle, WA; Former Director, National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta GA ; Paul A. Offit, MD, Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases, Director, Vaccine Education Center, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia; Professor of Pediatrics, Maurice R. Hilleman Professor of Vaccinology, Perelman School of Medicine, The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Kathryn M. Edwards, MD, Sarah H. Sell and Cornelius Vanderbilt Chair in Pediatrics, Professor of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee and Stanley A. Plotkin, MD, Emeritus Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania, Emeritus Professor, Wistar Institute, Former Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA; Former Medical and Scientific Director, Pasteur Merieux Connaught (now Sanofi Pasteur), Marnes-la-Coquette, France