The 10th edition of Porths Pathophysiology: Concepts of Altered Health States continues a legacy of excellence by providing comprehensive, nursing-focused coverage designed to help grasp both the physical and psychological aspects of altered health. The books unique emphasis on “concepts” of altered health states, as opposed to factual descriptions of diseases and disorders, helps students grasp both the physical and psychological aspects of altered health.
The Tenth Edition maintains its comprehensive depth with over 1,100 illustrations to show students the complex pathophysiology. In addition, over 40 advanced 3D narrated animations that address the most clinically relevant and difficult to understand disorders, engaging unit-opening case studies that reinforce critical thinking and set the tone for the content to come, and a wide range of built-in study tools.
Porths Pathophysiology: Concepts of Altered Health States is designed to make pathophysiology an exciting exploration that relates normal body functioning to the physiologic changes that occur as a result of disease, as well as the bodys remarkable ability to compensate for these changes. Indeed, it is these changes that represent the signs and symptoms of disease. Students develop a strong understanding of pathophysiology concepts with the easy-to-follow narrative that builds concepts on one another, defines words as content is presented, and reviews concepts from physiology, biochemistry, physics, and other sciences along the way.
Key Features of 10E:
- *NEW* A new unit on Emergency Medicine . The new chapters in this section are: Bioterrorism, Emergency Psychological Issues, Burns, and Shock. The purpose of this unit is to introduce pathophysiology issues that appear in an Emergency Room or Emergency situation and are not covered elsewhere in the book.
- *NEW* Unfolding Patient Stories: This edition includes even more cases studies with the introduction of unfolding vSim vignettes called Unfolding Patient Stories. It is not necessary to have a vSim product to use this feature. These unfolding vignettes are designed to start conversations in the classroom by using vSim patients in the book. The vignettes are completely standalone cases but if a school is using vSim then student will be familiar with the patient.
- Unit opener Case Studies: Prepare for clinical practice with 14 unit-opening case studies that put a real face on pathophysiology and help you relate the clinical presentation to the underlying pathophysiology.
- Full-color Art: Increase your understanding of key concepts with the full-color art program comprised of over 1,100 illustrations showing the clinical manifestations of diseases and disease processes.
- Review exercises: Reinforce your understanding of key content with chapter-ending review exercises.
- Objectives and Summaries: Deepen your understanding by pausing and reviewing salient points using the easily-identified section-opening Objectives and section-ending Summaries .
- Lab References : Easily access useful references including lists of common suffixes and prefixes, normal laboratory values in both conventional and SI units, and a comprehensive glossary.
- Animations: Master the most clinically relevant and difficult to understand disorders with over 40 advanced 3D narrated animations.
Key Concept Boxes: Retain and apply text information using the information in the boxes help you incorporate key information into a larger conceptual unit, rather than memorizing a string of related and unrelated facts.