First published in 1966, Thompson and Thompson Genetics and Genomics in Medicine has become an essential textbook for medical students, genetic counseling students, students in laboratory medicine, and more advanced trainees. With its focus on fundamental principles in human genetics and genomics and their application to medicine, the book has served many as a well-thumbed resource they return to over and over.
Such students can continue to depend on this valuable text, joining those in newer fields of genome data analysis for all they need to know about genetics and genomics throughout their basic science training, clinical placements and beyond. Coverage includes new discoveries—such as the functional roles of non-coding RNAs, chromatin regulation and epigenetics—latest technologies, and new diagnoses they are enabling.
Under an expanded title, this ninth edition has been completely revised by a new editorial team overseeing a large cadre of contributing authors. Support groups have also assisted to update illustrations featuring beautiful images of those living with genetic conditions.
- Updated and new clinical cases, supported with photography by the not-for-profit organization, Positive Exposure
- New content on growing role of sequencing and novel functional assays in diagnosis and screening of genetic conditions
- New chapter on Epigenetics
- Clearer and more precise terminology, in response to contemporary and evolving guidelines
- New sections describing the use (and need for) genetic information from diverse populations, including unique indigenous and founder populations, for diagnosis and management.
- Comprehensive coverage of: genomes in biology and medicine; copy number and structural genomic variation; novel discoveries; latest technology; and new genetic diagnoses
- Over 40 clinical case studies, capturing the latest challenges of variable expression, pleiotropy, and complex disorders through new diagnostic strategies
- Full-color text, illustrations, updated line diagrams, and clinical photos
- End-of-chapter questions and comprehensive answers to challenge the reader to consolidate the material into practice and prepare for examinations
- USMLE-style and multiple choice questions available as part of the eBook
- An enhanced eBook version is included with purchase. The eBook allows you to access all the text, figures and references, with the ability to search, customize your content, make notes and highlights, and have content read aloud