The Fundamentals of Biomedical Science series has been written to reflect the challenges of practicing biomedical scientists today. It draws together essential basic science, with insights into laboratory practice, to show how an understanding of the biology of disease is linked to analytical approaches that lead to diagnosis. The series reviews the full range of disciplines to which a biomedical scientist may be exposed – from microbiology, to cytopathology, to transfusion science.
The third edition of Biomedical Science Practice gives a comprehensive overview of key laboratory techniques and professional practial skills, with which students will need to be familiar to be successful in a professional biomedical enviroment.The text discusses a broad range of professional skills and concepts, such as health and safety considerations, personal development, and communication and confidentiality. The text also explores key experimental and analytical approaches which form the basis of the investigation and diagnosis of clinical conditions.
Each chapter is supported with engaging clinical case studies, written to emphasize the link between theory and practice, and a set of end-of-chapter questions, which encourages students to test their knowledge and stretch their understanding.
The third edition is available for students and institutions to purchase in a variety of formats and is supported by online resources.
- A blend of science theory and biomedical science practice make this series ideal for those seeking both the knowledge and skills to become proficient biomedical scientists
- Self-check, case study, and discussion questions, with answers provided at the back of the book, encourage students to analyse the text and develop their problem solving skills
- The series is accompanied by online resources, which include an interactive digital microscope, video interviews with practicing biomedical scientists, and ‘in the lab’ footage showing biomedical science in practice
- The text is written by an experienced author team, including both practitioners and educators
- Also available as an e-book with functionality, navigation features, and links that offer extra learning support
New to this Edition:
- Updated content on health and safety, particularly on the control of substances hazardous to health regulation, risk assessments and the use of personal protective equipment in Chapter 4
- Revised content on fitness to practice in Chapter 2
- Updated content on personal development in Chapter 18