Offering practical, comprehensive coverage of the many nuanced technical and clinical aspects of this growing field, Palliative Radiation Oncology provides up-to-date clinical guidance in a thorough yet concise manner. In an easy-access format, it integrates basic science, pathologies, and research with clinical applications, covering different ways to approach problems, tumor assessment, precise target definition, and dosing-specific guidelines to minimize side effects/toxicities while balancing with desired outcomes.
- Discusses optimal communication skills for pediatric, adult, and elderly patients.
- Contains decision-making algorithms to guide individualized palliative radiation oncology treatment plans.
- Reviews all the latest modalities with technical tips and pitfalls.
- Covers key procedures such as external beam radiation therapy, intensity modulated radiation therapy, stereotactic body radiation therapy, and stereotactic radiosurgery.
- Features step-by-step body site-specific guidelines with integrated symptom and toxicity management.
- Covers symptom and symptom-cluster management, including pain and psychosocial or spiritual distress.
- Ideal for radiation oncology residents, fellows, and practitioners, as well as medical oncologists, surgical oncologists, oncology nurses, and radiation technicians—all clinicians who work in this highly collaborative, team-based specialty.
- An eBook version is included with purchase. The eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures and references, with the ability to search, customize your content, make notes and highlights, and have content read aloud.
Edited by Neha Vapiwala, M.D. , Associate Professor and Vice Chair of Education, Department of Radiation Oncology, Assistant Dean of Students, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ; Joshua Jones, M.D., M.A. , Assistant Professor of Clinical Radiation Oncology, Department of Radiation Oncology, Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Kavita Dharmarajan, M.D. , Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology, Assistant Professor of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, New York